10.01.2005

surprise

I really like a good cold drink of fresh apple cider. It's something I don't get often, usually limited to October of each year. I usually buy the cider made at a local orchard. But, today I was in the store and impulse-bought a jug from a display they had in the produce area. It's not made locally, but I figured it would be good enough to fulfill my craving. Well, it's been in my refrigerator all afternoon. Time for a nice tall glass that I have been waiting for. I chugged down about 12 oz. of the ice cold, brown apple cider before I notice something odd. My stomach is not happy with what it is getting. My nose is now getting a wiff of something odd and my taste-buds are not giving me the reaction I had been expecting. This apple cider is very fermented and I just consumed a pretty big gulp of it. OK, for those of you thinking "hard apple cider", this is not the reaction I had. I've now gone though a few different items in my frig to get the taste out of my mouth and my stomach is still twisting tightly in protest of the treatment it has received.

All I am thinking now is thank goodness that I said no to my son when he wanted a glass with his dinner. He has a sensitive stomach and even more sensitive palette. I don't want to scar his future with such a great thing as apple cider with an experience like this when he is so young.

(tummy grumble grumble)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home