9.14.2005

local monopoly/pseudo-resignation letter

So, on my lunch today, I went to the local ambulance providers office and signed the offer of employment. The rest of the meeting just made me think of them being a local monopoly and you can tell. Though I have not been an ex-employee long enough to get a sign-on bonus, I have been away long enough that I have to go through orientation again, drug screening, phyical agility test, Field Officer Training, emergency vehicle drivers training, etc...everything all over again. What is the logic in that? I was told it was important to be consistant. Sadly, I do not see the consistancy in one key point that is important to me. If I am "new" in every other way why am I not new when it comes to a sign-on bonus? Ugh.

******

After returning from lunch and signing the letter at the ambulance office. I wrote the letter below and gave it to who I think is kind of "my boss". I actually answer to the entire executive committee, but this is the person who approves my time-off requests and other activities like that.

The pseudo-resignation letter/request to go part-time:

(Ambulance Company Name), the local 911 ambulance service, has made me an offer of full-time employment as a Paramedic starting October 10, 2005. That week I will be working during the day completing my new hire training. The following two weeks I will be with a Field Training Officer (FTO) and working during that FTO’s shift. After that I will be assigned a shift that is still open for this current rotation (for the next six months).

Currently, I do not know any details about what shifts I will be working past the first week. As I get more details, I will share them with you.

I know (Company Name) has a lot of important IT-infrastructure projects coming up between now and the end of the year. During past meetings, it was mentioned that (Company Name) would work with me on my schedule so I could remain an employee here, even part-time, during this transition to my new career. I would like to see that happen, if at all possible. The one favor I ask is that I would be able to keep my medical benefits until I am able to get them at (the Ambulance Company) (after 90 days).

I believe this transition period will prove beneficial for all involved. I will be working in a field I feel drawn to while (Company Name) will still have access to all the IT knowledge and experience I have gained, including all those (Company Name)-specific details that are so hard to train people on, but so useful in long-term employees. I’ve mentioned in the past how there has only been enough work in IT for 1.5 employees, meaning that some days there was little to do while others even two employees were overloaded. I believe that by keeping me as a part-time employee while (Technician who I currently supervise) works full-time, we can have a better fit, give (Technician) a chance to grow into more of a leadership position while still having me here for the harder projects, where my experience is key.

Please, let me know any questions you may have and I will answer them as quickly as possible.

Sincerely,

(My signature and typed name below it)
------------

Well, the VP I gave this to said he would discuss it with the other VP's and get back with me. He said it did not sound unreasonable. The thing going for me is that I have been totally open and upfront about leaving. I actually gave a two-year notice back when I enrolled in paramedic school. Also, at a recent meeting where the whole executive committee was there, including the owners, I was told by the CEO that they were willing to work with me to keep me in whatever capacity they could. But, who knows. I've seen this company do some pretty stupid things over the years. I also don't want to be too optomistic about it, look what happened to the sign-on bonus thing..that would have been nice too. So, even though this was only a letter stating my request to go part-time, I am considering it a pseudo-resignation letter because who knows how it will end.

Also a note for family members who read this: I put October 10th. I actually start on October 11th. Yes, honesty is important to me but the 10th is my wedding anniversary and I in-no-way want to start a new job on that day. The 10th is a Monday and so, it makes it easier to start any change at the current work to reference a Monday as the day it changes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home