9.19.2005

what do you believe?

NPR has an interesting series going on every Monday called "This I believe". It's a radio series originally from 1951 and reborn in 2005. I have found the 3 minute segments interesting. If not for the beliefs of the person's essay but for the thought they stir in my own mind.

First I suggest I suggest everyone check out the archives of This I believe. Make sure to notice that there is more than one page and also check out Edward R. Murrow's original introduction to the series from 1951.

My thought is that maybe some of us should think about writing our own essays of what we believe. Maybe we would not have the courage to share them with others, but it would do good for us all to think on our beliefs anyway. When I think of my beliefs I tend to go in one of two directions, I tend to be quiet or I will ramble on forever, depending the topic. So, I like the idea of limiting yourself to 350-500 words. It forces some sort of structure.

So, give it a try. At the very least, put your thoughts in a journal for just yourself. For those of you with blogs, think about sharing it with the rest of us. If you want, consider submitting it for inclusion in the radio program.

This I Believe

Edward R. Murrow's 1951 Introduction

Essay Tips

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home