9.20.2005

Canada goes that far west?


My wife can attest that I have been ranting about a few things tonight. But there is one thing that happened to me at work today that I am still going on about.

The following story is true, the names have been changed to protect the innocent and the ignorant.

The scene: Cubicle farm, four workers wasting time on the clock talking about one's recent vacation to Glacier National Park in Montana as well as Banff and Jasper National Parks in Canada. Showing of pictures, postcards, etc.

John, Jane and I are talking to each other. Ditz is talking to us and but we are not really talking to her (why? you'll see). Here is what I remember being said and how I was so amazed by her ignorance I wanted to vomit from the sheer effort to stay polite.

John: Yeah the trip was great. We left Glacier and then saw Banff and Jasper. I'll definitely go back again. That part of Canada is beautiful.

Me: I'd love to take a train from one side of Canada to the other. I think that we be just great...if only I could afford it.

Ditz: Canada goes that far west?

(there is a pause in conversation as all of us are thinking of what to say...)

John: Canada is the second largest country in the world...

Me: ...by area, not population.

Ditz: Where were you? I know you can get to Canada from Michigan...

John: I was in western Montana...

Me: Other than Alaska and Hawaii, you can head North from any state in the US and eventually end up in Canada.

Jane: Well, you could go east from Alaska...

Ditz: So how far does it go again?

John: The US and Canada have the world's longest undefended border. It goes from Maine to Washington...

The conversation changed from here as we all tried to ignore her again. John and I debated whether Nunavut was a province or not (it's actually a Canadian territory). But, Ditz is not a dumb person, she is in her mid-thirties and works in the accounting department. Heck, she is not even blonde. Notice how little I actually talked in that exchange. I have a degree in Geography and I am fully aware that American's are lacking in geographic literacy. But, come on now. A unimpaired adult in the US should be able to identify Canada and have at least an idea that it spans from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific. I was truly just repeating in my head that I did not want to say anything that could be me fired...I was actually feeling sick from the effort.

Here is the SHORT list of what I believe every adult in the US should be able to identify on a world political map. (I have met many who can't, so I also would say that they need to be high school graduates before holding them to this list.)
  1. The USA
  2. Canada
  3. Mexico
  4. Iraq (someone you know could die there, please know where it is)
  5. The state that they are in
  6. They must locate the city they live in on a US map that has that city labeled. (like a road atlas or the like)

Sadly, I would require MANY more if I was teaching a class. How about these that I think are so simple but are so hard for many:

  1. The Atlantic and Pacific Oceans
  2. The Continents
  3. Gulf of Mexico
  4. Capitol of the state they live in
  5. Washington DC
  6. Those in Michigan (where I grew up) must name the Great Lakes and identify

I had to end the list there for now. I know I am not a good judge at this because I really do not understand. I am one of those freaks that can locate all the US states and the provinces/territories of Canada. I can locate over 90% of the countries of the world on the first try and I can even discuss some major cities (London, Hong Kong, Sydney, Moscow, etc.)

I just think this kind of geographic knowledge is why I have such an easy time following world news and even the US politics that involve international issues. Because, I may not know where a specific town in northern Iraq is I can understand how Kurd independence issues there can effect Turkey (borders Iraq to the North) because it also has a large Kurd population. Just knowing that they are in the same region/neighbors gives you that type of knowledge.

I just don't understand, this just seems to simple to me. I know it is harder from many others. But, I do not think it is because I am smarter. I really think this is all stuff that can be learned. Why are we not teaching it to the level that we should? Geography is one of the foundation subjects that so much other knowledge is based.

Some links on the topic:

Survey Reveals Geographic Illiteracy (2002)

Take part of the survey that article was about (really recommend)

National Geographic Bee (contest for Grades 4-8)

National Geographic GeoBee Challange (online game for kids)

GeoSpy (another online game for kids)

Play the games...I hope you get more than average.

*******
Pseudo-Related:
Picking Diplomatic Plums for Allies
Why do we pick Ambassadors that know so little about where they are going?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know...on that map, Canada looks kind of small... hahaha!

20:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I am fully aware that American's are lacking in geographic literacy."

It is really funny listening to people talk about Canada when I travel to the states. Most people think I live within a 20mile radius of Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver. Being in Halifax, Nova Scotia I couldn't be any further from those cities.

See ya at the blogger meet up!
Cheers
John Bignell

01:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home