10.12.2005

1st day but not quite

I show up at 0800, my first day as a full-time medic. Anything interesting? Of couse...not.

The service I work for is making me go though the new hire orientation again, even though I worked there for over a year and left under a year ago. The kicker is that during the time I was not working for them, I was there all the time as a medic student...basically working for free.

The orientation consists of paperwork, watching hours of videos, cd-roms w/quizzes, observing dispatch, meeting all the managers, and finally FTO (Field Training Officer) time. Usually this whole process can take a few weeks. I expect to be done Friday afternoon.

The videos were boring but one of the managers signed off that I did not have to watch 99% of them....something about wasting my time. The cd-rom quizzes were ok, mostly because I saved copies of my answers from the last time I took them...nothing like being prepared. The FTO time usually takes at least two weeks, but I have been told I am only having one day, Friday 0400-1600. Meeting with the managers has become the most frustrating part. Partly because they all have voiced the same opinion as me..."Why do I have to go though this?" I don't object to the FTO time, but the rest of this seems like an utter waste of time. I have the last of the manager meetings on 10/13. Getting them to stop long enough to talk to me and even say they don't need to talk to me is getting old.

The things that are still bugging me:
  1. I have yet to get any offical idea of what my schedule will be. I will be "released" on Monday, yet I have no idea when I will be working after this Friday. It makes it hard to plan the rest of life with situations like this.
  2. I have my uniforms, but the pager is still on order. Pagers are a big deal in this service because that is how I get a lot of information I need to complete my run reports. Not having a pager is a big pain in the .... They knew my start date a month ago...could someone not order a pager just a little earlier than today?
  3. The FTO is a great medic and I worked with him as a Tech. But, I am still have a lot of performance anxiety type stress building up here. At least on my first day as a medic I will have another medic there with me. I just hope I get the stamp of approval. I just need to keep telling myself I did it as a student during all the clinical hours, this is just another shift of that.
  4. Then the fun shift...some undetermined day next week..my first day on my own, in my own truck with my own tech...time to fly on my own. I'm very excited and nervous at the same time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home