8.29.2005

Sick on test day

Of course the nastiness that hit my family last week and this weekend seems to be starting on me today. Luckily, all for me so far is the feeling like crap part.

This morning was testing day for one of the services that I've applied to. The test was 60 questions was OK. I'm not sure if I am performing my best today, but the questions were not insane as I had feared. We then had two scenarios. The trauma scenario was pretty straight forward with a drunk falling down the stairs and possible head injury. The medical was also not insane. It was a male pt with a possible AAA (abdominal aortic aneurism) and a bp of 80/40. There were other details, but the bp was the key. I treated with a fluid bolus and dopamine. The thing that I hate is that after the scenario I realized that I never said I would just generally treat for shock by raising his legs and covering with a blanket. I did it in my head and I've done it with all my real patients. But, for some reason, in this scenario, it never came out of my mouth. Grrr... I'm not sure it is something that would fail me, but I am worried that is something that would make another candidate better than me. By the way, I did mention PASG (Pneumatic Anti-Shock Garment aka big blow-up pants) and inflating just the legs. But, I said to the tester and he agreed that it would likely never happen in reality. Nobody locally uses PASG anymore, but they are still in the testing scenarios because they are still in the national testing scenarios.

Now it is just a waiting game. I do not think they are hiring very many positions and they did not say during the testing. So, I am staying a little pessimistic on this just to be safe. The other server I've applied to is not as nice to work for, but they have already said they would love to have me. So, no need to stress too bad today.

Now I'm waiting for my wife to get home from work and then I'm going off to bed and hope I feel better when I wake up in the morning and have to go to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home