8.21.2005

The day is coming

So, the owner of the company I work for sat everyone down for meetings this past week. This took awhile, we are about 70 employees right now. Seems we have lost a client's business. Not, the biggest client, but a noticeable loss none the less. She (the owner) is letting three employees go that day. My department is only two people. I'm the network administrator and there is one technician. We are in the meeting together. We find out that neither of us are going that day. But, my coworker is going to have some majorly changed job responsibilities. Instead of being in the IT department, he will be in GAD (Graphic Art Department). The logic there is that he shows talent in Flash and web design. Too bad he just finished a degree in IT and is working on a higher degree in network security.

He's upset. He is hiding it relatively well. But, I would not be surprised if he starts actively looking for another job. He asked about how much IT he would still be able to do. He would be my "backup." He mentions me "eventually leaving." Mind you, everyone at the company knows I've been training to be a medic. But, it seems the Executive Committee members forgot that time keeps going by. This prompted the fun question "So, what ARE your plans? If you're leaving we need to know." My answer? "I did just get my National Registry certification. What's that mean? I have more paperwork ahead of me. But, to get to the point… It would be ignorant to think I'll be here forever. I expect I'll get a job offer in the next 6 months. What I say to that offer, I have not decided."

I then pitched the idea that I could continue to work part-time for them if I get offered a full-time position in EMS. In effect, flip-flopping what I've been doing as a part-time EMT/full-time IT. One of the EMS services I've been looking at works 11 24-hour shifts per month. The other service works 12-hour shifts in a 4-on/3-off/3-on/4-off rotation. The owner said she'd like to work with me on keeping me...full-time or part-time. But, I still could see and feel the stress in the room. I am waiting to see how this goes. I only see the need for 1.5 network people in this company. Meaning they only sometimes need two people. Maybe it will work out. It really is a better part-time job than I could get anywhere else.

Thinking back on it, I wonder how I came up with 6 months. I just made it up on the spot, but it seems fairly accurate. I test next week for one service, but they only have one opening and I am one of many applicants. The other service said they'd love to have me. But, I told them I couldn't start until mid-October. So, who knows. It could be two months instead of six. Close enough. Right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home