8.20.2005

Change

As I mentioned in the last post, I am working on a career change. The thing is, many people don't seem to understand the change. I currently work 40+ hours a week as a Network Administrator. The pay is good, but not as good as people tend to imagine. Though I have always enjoyed the helping and teaching aspects of this job; it's never really been "my thing." I work with people who live and breathe programming, networking, etc. It is their calling. Given the current IT job market, I hope the person who eventually fills my position has that calling.

How did I ever get into computers if I really didn't want it? Just like I suspect many of us end up in jobs we never really planned for. Life happened. I was a Park Ranger out in the woods. I met my wife and "settled down." I moved to her hometown. No parks. I needed a job. After a few odd-jobs to keep busy, I landed a series of jobs in computers. I've always come across as a bit smart, and I am a decent student. So, my knowledge of computers grew and now I've been in my current position for five years.

Two years ago, I had a supervisor that just drove me crazy..made me really hate my job. But, what I hated worse was the feeling of being stuck in that job. So, I decided to enroll back in school. Mind you, I already had a BS (in Geography.) So, I thought hard about what I wanted to do in life. My desire to help others plus my ability to think quickly even under stress led me to a Paramedic training school. I knew of EMS from my time as a Park Ranger and my grandfather is a retired firefighter. So, I've been exposed to a first-responder type lifestyle already.

The two years of training went by fast, I have gained new friends. I've faced some personal challenges and I am about to start this new career in what I believe is my calling. Heck, I even got another degree. So what if it is an Associates degree when I already have a Bachelors.

I've put applications in at two services in the area. One I worked for as a EMT-Basic. They have already said they would love to have me. Also, the other service sent me a letter inviting me to prehire testing on 8/29. So, things are looking good job wise. Yes, it is a pay cut. But, doing the job you want to do does make a difference.

I can ramble on about this for quiet awhile, maybe some other time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home