8.22.2005

Big day for the boys

The day started by taking my youngest boy to his pre-school orientation. He seems eager if not excited. Let's just say he seems to be looking forward to it, if also taking in the whole change aspect of it.

The day ended with taking my oldest son to sign up for Cub Scouts. He is going to be a Tiger Cub. This is the youngest group reserved for 1st graders. He is extremely excited and it made it even better when he saw some other boys from his school there. I'm actually excited about this too. This is so much more my thing and so much more what I want to pass on to my sons. Much more than what? Well, things like little league. Mind you, I think it is great to have physically active children, even if I am not the best role model in that regard. But, other than swimming lessons (every child should learn to swim), this is something I believe in. I want them to learn leadership and public service. I'm hoping the scouts will help in this.

The one thing I am worried about is that as a Tiger Cub, a parent is required to be with the child at the meetings. The meetings are only about an hour long, I have heard. The issue I am trying to overcome is that I have no idea what my schedule will be in the future. EMS work schedules aren't always conducive to other regular activities. We'll have to see, hopefully I can work something out with the den leader to have the meetings on nights when I am free.

http://www.scouting.org/

1 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

hopefully once you explain the situation they will be understanding. I work with a guy who is a cub scout leader/paramedic. I just helped out with a bike rodeo that he orginized. You should point out how benificial it would be to have an EMS provider at the meetings both to teach safty and to provide first aid when the little kids hurt themself. Maybe they can get an insurance reduction or somthing by having you there :-)

18:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home