12.03.2005

Anyone for a war on cars?

OK. Any of us who are in EMS should know that the field really started to grow out of a response to death from traffic accidents. That is why national EMS standards and governance comes from the Department of Transportation. Yes, this may change to the Department of Homeland Security. But, given this study, I wonder if it should.

News Articles:
Car deaths 400 times greater than terrorism
Death toll from road accidents 390 times that from terrorism

Now, if I can only find a link to the actual study...anyone? The articles I am finding annoy me because it seems one news source just uses another news source as it reference of information. Note the difference in the math...390 or 400? I have seen that the results of the study can be found in the journal Injury Prevention...now just to find a copy, preferably online.

OK. I found the article online...a very short abstract is free..but I have to pay for the full article. Now is not the time of year I can justify paying for something like this. Anyone out there read the actual article or study? Link to Abstract

The best quote I have found so far:

"In 2001, road crash deaths in the US were equal to those from a September 11 attack every 26 days."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home