12.03.2005

Concern

One thing about working in EMS is that you can think of worse-case scenarios very easily. Heck, it's what we do. The chest pain may be nothing, but we will rule out what we can and treat for the worse-case scenario.

My family is spread out all over. I grew up about 8 hours from where I currently live. Most of my family is still in that area. My mom, on the other hand, is doing the whole semi-retired lifestyle in the sunny southwest.

We get this email from my mom today:

"I don't know if you've heard, but [my 29yo sister] is in the hospital. [Her husband] took her in to the ER on Saturday morning. She wasn't able to walk and her speech was slow or actually nonexistent. They are running a battery of tests. Still no answers, but they say it doesn't look like a stroke. I am flying back tomorrow. Will plan on staying a week, but that is kinda up in the air till we know more. Just thought I'd let you know what's up. Please say and extra prayer for her. XOXO MOM"

My sister has cerebral palsy. She can walk and talk just fine..her balance is not the best and her speech pattern is slightly slow...just enough to notice. Also, she just gave birth to her first child about a week ago.

So, of course, I am now stressing about this. Yes, stroke is a possibility..but they say that is ruled out. I wish I was there. I am wondering if she accidentally OD'ed on a medication. I suspect they give new moms something for pain..I know they are in a bunch of pain from what their body went through.

I am awaiting more news...until then I am worrying.

1 Comments:

Blogger MidwestMedic said...

Update - Seems she has been running a fever the last 4 days and has not been urinating at all. Sepsis seems like the main possibility right now. UTI &/or Kidney Infection are also at the top of the list. More tests to go. When my Mom gets there she'll call me with some info I can trust.

14:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home