9.05.2005

My soft spot


Pictured: Dottie, 8yo Dalmatian/? mix and Nevada, 6 month old German Sheppard/Lab mix.

I read this article: Katrina Evacuees Distraught Over Lost Pets and couldn't help but wonder what I would do. Mind you, I would have had my family & pets on the highway long before that hurricane hit. My wife will back me up when I say I can be a blunt pushy @$$ when it comes to getting my family someplace safe when a big storm is coming. And the one time the field beside my house was ablaze, Dottie and I were the only ones home. I made darn sure she was at my side when I left the house.

But, if I really was in the situations mentioned in the article, I'm not sure what I would do. I am experienced with dealing with blood, guts, gore, etc. But, don't mess with my family and my dogs are family too. I would make sure my family got on a bus out of town. But, would I be able to stay behind with our dogs to look for another way? How bad does it have to get for me to tell my puppies goodbye? I feel bad for those who had to face that and, unlike me, actually had to make the decision. Like my shifts on the ambulance, I am able to care for people but still emotionally keep my guard up. But, this article really hit one of my soft spots.

Please read the article and if you have a furry one at your home, give them an extra treat tonight and tell them you love 'em.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home