12.13.2005

She was beautiful.


December 10, 2005

I gained a son-in-law and worse, I became a father-in-law.
Heck, now I'm married to a mother-in-law.
How's that happen? It just sneaks up on us dangit!

She was beautiful. My wife cried. The wedding was nice. Everyone, for the most part, behaved at the reception.

I have to say, it was a lot easier being the groom than the (step)father-of-the-bride.

My wife wrote a nice blog entry before the wedding. Here it is:

******

I Hope She Dances...
Current mood: nostalgic

Well, today's the big day. Amber's getting married. Yesterday was very long and very hectic, but today should be wonderful! I only teared up once during the rehearsal - when my Dad was walking her down the aisle. Today WILL be a different story!!

As I was trying the help her get things ready for today, I was blessed with flashbacks for the past 21 years...

I remembered how beautiful I thought she was when I first saw her. I didn't realize that all babies do NOT look alike when they are born!

I remembered that from the start, she was not content to sit still. She had to be on the go at all times. Who ever heard of a baby walking at 7 months?? But she did...

I remembered that she had this precious little personality...a tad sassy toward life (which is cute when you're 3) and definitely an independent kid.

I remembered realizing that she was not a singer!!! Having a 4 year old sing Red Red Wine...Makes you Feel so Fine...way off key is cute though!

I remembered that first day of Kindergarten. I take her to school. Stop the car at the sidewalk. She gets out, as do I. With a look of disgust, she says "Mom! Where are you going?" "I'm walking you into school," I replied. With her little hands on her hips she says, "Mom! I'm 5 years old! I can do this by myself, you know!" Although she let me walk her in just that first day...she was sure to let me know it would not be the norm!!

I remembered watching her hour after hour, day-in day-out, dancing. Tap...jazz...but no ballet! She is not a ballerina!! Give her some funk and she's awesome...Grace. She has none!
I remembered that she can follow instructions. At her first National dance competition in Orlando...coach said, "Never pull on your costume." After this performance she said, "Never pull on your costume unless your top is falling down and you're exposing yourself to the entire world!"

I remembered when her 5th grade 'boyfriend' broke up for her. No, she didn't want the baseball hat back that she bought him for Christmas. She told him to shred it... just to make sure he was still wearing it when he did. (some of that sassy little attitude again)

I remembered when the dance practices turned to cheer practices. I remember traveling, sometimes with Lacee, sometimes just the two of us, all over the country. Made me so happy to have these memories with her!

I remembered the "I Love You" signals that we'd sign to each other EVERY time she took that cheer floor. I remember that being the most important part of the competitions to me.

I remembered the call, "Mom, I got a ticket today" (first week after she got her license) Then 2 days later came, "I'm never driving again!" Wreck 1... then the subsequent 3 calls about wrecking her cars. I was always relieved that she was ok. Although going by ambulance to the ER kinda freaks a mom out!!

I remembered some of the arguments we had...but for the life of me can't remember all the details. That's a huge plus! :)

I remembered her high school graduation and how proud I was of my little girl...not so little anymore.

I remembered how she's grown into such a beautiful young lady. Independent, strong, and able to take care of herself...unless she's sad/hurting. Then she still wants her Mommy.

As I watched her walk down that aisle with my Dad...it was a happy moment, indeed. And I realize that it now comes down to what she has ahead of her. I wish her happiness...and love...and to become one with Regan, yet to maintain her indviduality. But most of all, Amber... I hope you dance!

I love you Bean!

******

I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Womack is the song I chose to dance with her. Good song.

******

Obviously, this is the main reason I was not driving the 9 hours to see my sister in the hospital.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home